This is quite possibly my favorite way to prepare catfish and there is no food that says “summer!” better than fish tacos. Grilling skinless fish fillets correctly can be a challenge, but a few preparations and a thin, wide spatula will make the task much easier. Do it correctly and your reward will be juicy fish with a slightly crusty sear. A warm breeze, cold booze and a plate of grilled fish tacos makes for a beautiful summer evening.
Grilled Catfish Tacos with Chipotle Sour Cream
For the fish:
- 2 lbs of fresh catfish fillets (fillets from smaller cats work better)
- 1 tbs chili powder
- scant 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Olive oil for coating fish, oiling grate
- green leaf lettuce
- avocado, sliced thin
- tomato, diced
- lime wedges
- Six flour tortillas
For the Chipotle Sour Cream:
- 2/3 cup full fat sour cream
- 1 minced chipotle pepper in abodo, plus 1 tsp sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- salt to taste
- Combine the sour cream ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Prep the coals for direct medium high heat. Mix the dry spices together and prep the toppings.
- When the coals are nearly ready, brush the fillets liberally with olive oil, then apply the rub.
- Once the coals are hot, preheat the grate for at least five minutes. Coat a piece of paper towel with olive oil and brush the grate. Place the fillets on the grate and DON’T TOUCH THEM for at least two or three minutes. They will release from the grill once they’ve begun to form a crust.
- Carefully slide your wide/thin spatula under the fillets and flip carefully. Its helpful to have a second spatula to facilitate the flip. Some bits and flakes from your fillets will stick to the grate. This is normal.
- Grill the other side for a couple minutes more. Grilling times will vary with the size and thickness of the fillets. If you must grill the fillets in batches, make sure your grate is brushed clean between groups.
- When the fillets are done, warm the tortillas shells on the grill. Tear the fillets into chunks and squeeze some lime juice over the top. Pile on some avocado, lettuce, tomato, and a couple dollops of sour cream. Serves 3.